Healthy-Enough-For-Breakfast Berry + Yogurt Cake
Why not be like Marie Antoinette? Have your cake and eat it too ... for breakfast!
That's exactly what my Frenchman did. After inhaling three slices of it for dessert the night before, he devoured yet another for breakfast the next day. And the French would know what makes a good petit dejeuner, non ?
He washed it down with a shot of espresso, and like a happy little (Parisian) Vegemite, shot out the door to work.
When it's loaded with antioxidant-rich berries, protein-rich yogurt and appetite-stabilising almonds, why not swap your kale smoothie for a piece of cake? And it couldn't be simpler; just use the yoghurt tubs in the recipe to measure the remaining ingredients.
BERRY + YOGURT CAKE
- 1 cup plain yogurt (2 x 125g tubs, the French standard). Use an empty tub to measure the remaining ingredients
- 1/2 tub (1/4 cup) oil (not olive; try coconut)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tubs (3/4 cup) sugar
- 3 tubs (1 1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 tub (1/2 cup) almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 300 g berries, fresh or frozen
- Zest of a lemon
- Heat oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Grease and flour a 22cm cake pan.
- Whisk wet ingredients and lemon zest in a large bowl.
- Sift dry ingredients together and fold gently in to wet ingredients. Do not over mix.
- Pour half of the batter into the pan, sprinkle half the berries over the batter.
- Repeat. Sprinkle with a little extra sugar.
- Bake for 30-35 mins or until golden and set.
Et voila ! Devour with caffeine for breakfast, or lashings of crème fraîche for dessert.