Fast + Simple Jam Crumble Tart
When my Frenchman glanced at the title for this recipe on my laptop screen, he told me he thought it read "Fart and Simple", and then laughed like a five year old, nothing like the sophisticated Frenchman he usually is.
Best I keep his mouth occupied with tarts like this while I roll my eyes secretly behind his back, non ?
My South-African grandmother passed this recipe down to me, which she said was originally called "German Tart" though I think my title is somewhat more international and modern-day, even if it is a little confusing for a certain normally very smart Frenchman to read.
I simply cannot describe to you in words or pictures how good this simple, old-fashioned tart is (hey, that sounds like me, apart from the "tart" bit). I've made it literally dozens of times and people always want seconds.
It's the combination of crumbly, shortbread-y, buttery goodness oozing tangy, fruity jam on the inside ... and is particularly good accompanied by crème fraîche, ice cream or whipped cream. Not to mention that it uses only the very basics from your pantry and a little leftover jam, or even stewed or preserved fruit.
FAST & SIMPLE JAM TART
- 125g butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbl oil (anything but olive)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (levure chimique)
- around 1/3 - 1/2 jar of jam (or any leftover stewed/preserved fruit) *
* I prefer Bonne Maman jam, made in France, because it has no high fructose corn syrup, artificial colouring or preservatives ... aaaaand because the jars make super pretty vases for flowers when empty!
- Preheat oven to 175 deg Celsius.
- Cream first three ingredients well, around 3-4 minutes, until pale and creamy.
- Add egg and beat well.
- Fold sifted remaining ingredients through lightly, forming a stiff, dry mixture.
- Grease and flour a springform cake tin (or line a regular cake pan) and spread three quarters of the mixture over the base, pressing down lightly and evenly with floured fingers or the back of a spoon.
- Spread jam over, then crumble the remainder of dough over the top, but don't press it down as you want this crumbly texture to remain.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown. The jam may ooze through the crumble; perfect!
- Serve at room temperature with whipped cream, vanilla icecream or crème fraîche.